Sunday, July 05, 2015

Sprout Wings

Hi folks, I struggled with this blog. So many pressures from every side. Writing is not in a vacuum. It is in the real world, and this world is full of troubles, big and small.  I began to think about an idea I have always held this weekend.  If you fall in a pit, get up on the side closest to where you to want go, crawl out, and keep on going. A new idea came to me. 

Why don’t you just sprout wings and fly away?

How? I mean sprouting wings would be a pretty big miracle and this is the age of information and reason. We don’t live in a world that is NOT clinging to the mysterious. I wondered about the idea of sprouting wings. It felt very evolutionary to me.  You know, life adapts, and a lifetime of crawling out of pits made me long for something more. An evolutionary step seemed better than the same old reaction to stupidity.

Perhaps this is the heart of what makes us human -- three dimensional thinking. Your stories will pop if you think about making your characters evolve.  We tend to the ordinary, consider the extraordinary.  I think the best writers don’t wrap it all up. They deal in imagery and theme.  The unseen world is how they live their days.  Writing is to akin to dreaming, except you are awake. Our dreams can be chaotic and meaningless, but they can also help us make sense of the chaotic meaningless world.  Those words you are putting on the page, you are bringing light into darkness.  Keep going!

Finally, I considered my idea of sprouting wings. There is nothing new under the sun. An old scripture whispered within me: They that hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They shall soar on wings like the eagles. It is strange how the words of the Prophet Isaiah from around 720  BCE  resonate within me today. I love writers. They are thinking ahead. They are reaching to the ages ahead.  They see into the murky darkness of the future and they see you.

As you write, think about shining into the darkness of the future. You have the potential to transform the world. 

I will be back next week with more of TEENSPublish. I hope that you keep writing. Someone needs those stories. 

A sneak peek at an illustration for my soon to be indie published picture book: CHICKENS DON'T TAKE OVER HALLOWEEN!


Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint 

Isaiah 40; 28-31.   Write this on your heart, folks.  

6 comments:

Vijaya said...

Molly, what wonderful encouragement today from you. Yes, sprout wings. I've been singing the psalms the past three months. Truly, is there no emotion or state of mind that the Royal psalmist has not explored?

So a new PB about chickens and Halloween? Cute! And I love the new cover of Plumb.
God bless you, my friend.

Molly/Cece said...

Hi Vijaya! Hugs over there! I'm with you you. Wheels within wheels there.
God, smile upon you. :)

Anonymous said...

That's one of my favorite scriptures.

The picture looks like a turtle to me. Is it just because I love turtles? lol

Molly/Cece said...

Hi Debra! I am a huge fan of turtles too! I will do a blog about it some time. I also love that scripture and what is so awesome is something I've read again and again, sang out, meditated on suddenly meant something more to me.

Unknown said...

Molly,
This is a beautiful post! It challenges me to think more deeply--living in the unseen world, not wrapping it all up, dealing in imagery and theme, seeing a murky future--all the air a fiction writer breathes! It's so easy to stumble around, foggy-headed and feeling misunderstood. Truth be told, we are light bearers. Thanks for aiming the light in my direction!

Molly/Cece said...

Hi Sharon! Glad this connected. We must reach beyond. That is our true purpose.